Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a condition caused by injury to the part of brain that controls the muscles, movement and coordination. People with CP require lifelong interventions in order to minimise the effects of CP and have better quality of life.
Parents of CP children had highlighted that part of the main barrier for parents to bring their child for regular therapy sessions at healthcare facilities are time constraint, logistic and financial issues. The problems are even critical in rural areas and for the urban poor. This may leads to inadequate structured therapy sessions and later contribute to physical inactivity and muscular deconditioning in the population of children with CP.
PartiCPate in PRACTIVE is a community engangement project between GAPS and PPUM Rehabilitation Unit aiming to engage with and empower CP community with knowledge and awareness particularly on basic home program.
PRACTIVE toolkit reflects a practical home program which actively can be done and supervised by parents of children with CP at home and during their convenient time. The toolkit will be in the form of manual book and video. It does not replace an individualized therapy session, but it serves as a guide for a trained parents to continue to do basic home program as well as empower them to teach other parents with CP children.
3 Train of Trainers (TOT) trainings will be conducted in Klang Valley and 3 parents training workshops will be conducted in Kelantan, Sabah/Sarawak and KL (aiming at parents from rural areas and urban poor)
Quantitative: during pre and post PRACTIVE training on the impact of the PRACTIVE training programme on parents’ knowledge and awareness regarding home program for children with cerebral palsy
Qualitative: data can be collected at baseline, mid-line, and endline to explore the impact and experiences of the training programme in more depth through series of focus group discussion (FGD).
Goal 1 - Trainings. Amount Needed: MYR4,500.00
Goal 2 - Gratuity payment to therapists. Amount Needed: MYR2,500.00
Goal 3 - Logistics. Amount Needed: MYR8,000.00
(1) Providing a platform of holistic support for individuals with cerebral palsy and their families
(2) Introducing the concept of conductive education for children and individuals with cerebral palsy
(3) Establishing a one stop centre for the intervention, education, rehabilitation, care and research and development for individuals with cerebral palsy
(4) Cooperating with other societies and organisations as well as the relevant bodies of authority to raise awareness and educate the public on issues relating to cerebral palsy in particular and people with disabilities in general as well as their respective families
(5) Organising educational and awareness programmes to empower individuals with cerebral palsy and their families
(6) Publishing, issuing and disseminating/distributing information aimed at awareness, education and useful information relating specifically to cerebral palsy and to other disabilities in general.